| 3 comments ]

In my previous article I was writing about the importance of Alexa Rank for website owners. Well I was more talking about its unimportance because of its inability to determine real website traffic. If you want to learn about this I would suggest you to read my previous article: How important is Alexa Rank?

Despite its inaccuracy and easy manipulation, most of average internet users still rely on Alexa Rank when determining the credibility of any website. This is the reason why it should be still important for every website owner.

Since this is a very new blog I decided to try some well known methods of manipulating Alexa to see if they will work for me. And guess what? They do, my Alexa finally starts to dance:)

But before I will discuss about the methods which have been working for me, let’s face few facts about Alexa Rank.

1. Its traffic measurements are based on the Internet users who have installed Alexa toolbar on browser. It not counts visitors without Alexa toolbar.
2. There is no security policy, to prevent unnatural ways of increasing Alexa Rank. For example if your friends with Alexa toolbars will brows your website daily your Alexa will count them all.
3. Alexa toolbar is used especially by Internet users who are interested in website SEO and making money opportunities. So websites from these segments will probably have better Alexa rank.

So which manipulates techniques work for me?

1. I installed Alexa toolbar on my Firefox browser and I use it when I surf my website.

2. I have set my website as my home page.

3. I have installed Alexa widget on my main page. You can get your Alexa widget here.

4. I often refresh my website. Since I have new site I do a lot of template customizations and update content a lot that is the reason of my refreshes. But there are people who refresh just to increase Alexa Rank.

5. I am active on some webmasters forums with high traffic. Webmasters and people who visit webmaster forums usually use Alexa toolbar. So you can receive nice traffic which Alexa counts.

These are the main tricks which I have personally tried and which brought me results within few days (I was Alexa indexed pretty fast and my Alexa Rank is progressing well). There are also many other tips to increase Alexa Rank, if you will find those which work for you, don’t be shy and share them here:)

Useful articles:
http://www.doshdosh.com/20-quick-ways-to-increase-your-alexa-rank/
http://www.marketingscoop.com/improving-alexa-ranking.htm

3 comments

AJ said... @ August 12, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Just curious, doesn't your article in some ways contradict itself? You state that mostly webmasters and people interested in SEO use Alexa. But you argue it's important to use because "most of average internet users rely on Alexa."

In my personal experience, I haven't found it very helpful in any case and abandoned Alexa use years ago.

Dieorfly said... @ August 12, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Yes it is often used by people interested in SEO and online earnings, but it is also used by people who like online shopping and other Internet users who often don't know about drawbacks of Alexa Rank, they trust websites with high Alexa and PR.

pathfinder41 said... @ August 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM

such a nice information about the Alexa. how to increase its rank.its really helpful for people.
thanks

Post a Comment